The Ford family history
From 1905 to today
The Ford family have been farmers and Landowners in the Maketu, Te Tumu, and Lower Kaituna areas since 1907. ‘The Sandhills’ located on the northern side of the Kaituna River, was established on 21st December 1911 with the leasing by George P Ford, of 217 acres of second-class land on a perpetual lease from the District Lands Office. The adjoining lands were farmed and purchased over the years by the Ford family.
This land was farmed and owned firstly by George Pinckney Ford and later by Jack (Edward John) Ford. It is still owned by the Ford family.
The collation of this family history was instigated specifically to contribute to the “Background documents for the Kaituna River and Maketu Estuary Strategy”.
This is our historical recollection….